Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Do People Think Me A Dropout?

I have a job on the weekends lanscaping at hotels on Jekyll Island, GA. Just the other day I was spreading mulch in a flower bed when a man and his wife walked by. After they had passed I overheard the man turn to his wife and say "shoulda stayed in school."

Until the summer I have this job on the weekends to help pay for my new Dodge Dakota. When people see me do they think that I could be a trashy high school dropout just because I'm doing alot of physical labor? I like working outside with my hands. I would like to think that people notice me for how I make the hotels more appealing to guests, and not think that I'm worthless.



What would you think? say?Do People Think Me A Dropout?
I would think that I'm jealous that I don't get exercise at my job. I've actually considered quitting my white-collar job to find a job that would get me exercise like moving furniture or construction or something. If it wasn't for the benefits I'd probably do it. That guy who said that is a prick.
youve got something youve got your eye on, and youre working for it, whilst a few others maybe tempted just to steal it.



ive got respect for you, youre aware of the value of money, and youll appreciate whatever that money is for by doing the hard physical work youre doing.



no doubt if you WERENT there at the time, and the same two people were walking past and saw the landscaping, they would have been impressed-they just seem small mindedDo People Think Me A Dropout?
Sorry your in the middle of bigotry.



Some people might assume your adrop out, but the intellegant people, will figure,

it's saturday and this kid is out here working his @ss off.



D*mn why can't more kids have a work ethic like that.







Maybe next time you hear something like that, kindly point out to them that this is a weekend job, and you are still in school abnd paying for you r own car.



two years after I graduated, I was wiorking at JC pennys, and an elderly couple said the same thing, I pointed out to them i graduated 2 years ago, and was saving money for college.
A general assumption, is that people who work in "low education requiring jobs" such as manual labor, often did not graduate. Simply because those who graduate and can get "higher education jobs" will because they typically pay better, and have better benefits. While those who do not have the education and can not typically get the "higher education jobs, will end up with the "mule" jobs, such as manual labor. Assuming is never right , it makes an A$$ out of U and Me......as you can see, there are alot more A$$'es out there than people who do manual labor.
As a janitor at Toys "R" Us, I can definately sympathize. The fact of the matter is that if there weren't people like you and I to do the work nobody else would touch with a ten-foot pole it wouldn't get done and then people would start to complain. Of course, the complainers wouldn't take the initiative to actually do the dirty work if we weren't around, because they think they're above such things.
If everyone went to college who would be left to tend their gardens? Taking pride in what we do, regarless of its status, is a measure of our own character. Right now, because of the economic status, BAs are clerking stores and doing other more menial jobs...its all work.
My uncle is a landscaper and its ridiculous how people think you have a lesser education because of it! People in America dont understand that someone has to do it. And plus,their too busy in their fancy offices to realize we still do labor in this country!
Those people have no class (they should've stayed in Etiquette School)!! Don't worry about what other say/think - as long as you know the truth about yourself and your reasons, that is all that matters!
Some people just make judgment calls on others when they do not even know them. I would not worry about it. Although I would not say "Do people think me a dropout" because when you speak like that it sounds like you may be. I would say "Do people think I'm a dropout" for that is the proper way to phrase the question.
Dont listen to other people it will only make you doubt yourself. The person that said that used you as a way to build himself up. Cause his life is missing something. Do what you want the only person you have to answer to is yourself.
  • bento
  • book club recommendations
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment